Eating breakfast is very important, because it gives you the energy and nutrients you need to kick start your day. If you set off for work or school on an empty stomach, you will feel extra hungry around lunch time, and you may not be able to control yourself to make the right food choices. You may be skipping breakfast because you are trying to , but there are many healthy and delicious breakfast choices that can help you achieve better results.
Importance of Eating Healthy Breakfast
Eating breakfast is actually an effective way to lose weight, because it gets your metabolism going and makes your body burn calories instead of storing them. It also regulates hunger, so that you will not be overcome by the urge to consume unhealthy food. According to research, people who eat breakfast regularly will be able to maintain a healthy weight more effectively than those who skip breakfast. Also, eatingbreakfast will make your mind more alert and focused throughout the day. It will also enhance your mood.
Healthy breakfast ideas for weight loss
- Oatmeal made with fat free milk and topped with banana or other fruits
- High fibre (about 3-4g per serve), low sugar and fat cereal with fat free natural yogurt, fat free milk and a piece of fruit.
- Healthy breakfast sandwich made with two slices of whole grain bread, 2 slices of lean bacon or turkey bacon, tomato, lettuce and a spread of low fat mayo.
- Two egg omelettes with mushrooms, capsicums and herbs, served with a slice of wholegrain toast.
- Whole grain toast with peanut butter and a piece of fruit.
- Low fat smoothie with fat free milk, fresh or frozen fruit and no fat yogurt. Add a tablespoon of muesli for added fibre.
- Poached eggs with spinach and whole grain toast.
- Low or no fat yogurt topped with fresh fruit salad and a sprinkle of natural muesli.
What to avoid
- Pastries, donuts and cakes. These are high in fat and sugar and provide very little nutritional benefit.
- Bagels. Unfortunately these are the calorie equivalent of five or six slices of bread.
- Fry- ups. High fat meat such as bacon and sausages, combined with high fat cooking methods does not make for a healthy choice.
- High sugar cereals and toasted muesli. These contain a lot of calories and in the case of the muesli, a large amount of fat. Choose natural muesli as a better alternative.
- Breakfast bars, muesli bars and pop tarts. These are all high in sugar and generally provide very little fibre or protein.