Tiger nut is widely used all over Africa, the tuber nut is unearthed in winter and summer; distributed and commercialized all over the world. It is rich in fibre, has 20-30 per cent tiger-nut oil which is nourishing to the epidermis, nullifies hard-knots in the stomach and acts as a coolant to hot flushes associated with premature menopause. The high fibre content of the tiger nut makes it a wonderful colon evacuator and cleanser.
NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF TIGER NUT.
· It prevents constipation.
· It has necessary essential minerals; calcium, magnesium and iron necessary for bones, tissues repairs, muscles and the blood stream.
· It contains enough protein and carbohydrates.
· It contains a good quantity of vitamin B1 which assist in balancing the central nervous system and helps to encourage the body to adapt to stress.
· It supplies the body with enough quantity of vitamin E, very essential for fertility in both men and women.
|Fresh Tiger Nuts|
· The black specie of the tiger nut is an excellent medicine for breast lumps and cancer .
· It can be used as eye compress and to bandage wounds.
· Tiger nuts give a heating and drying action to the digestive system in general and this gives it the potency to alleviate flatulence.
· Tiger nut promotes the production of urine, this is why it is a preventive measure for cyst, prostrate, hernia, rectum deformation and prolapsed (anal feature-small painful flesh and the tip of the anus) and to prevent endometriosis or fibrosis as well as blockage of the fallopian tube.
PREPARATION OF TIGER NUT JUICE (KUNU AYA)
Fetch 180g of dried tiger nut, 1 litre of water and one lemon rind; sort out all rotten nuts and other unwanted object. Wash tiger nuts and soak for 24 hours, change the water 2-3 times to avoid smelling, drain well and blend in your blender. Blend it with a rind of lemon, add half of the water and allow to stand for 20 minutes- sieve with a neat cloth twice, bottle and serve cold. you can add ginger and sugar to taste.
Tiger nut is cholesterol free but contains 2.9 grams of sodium, so, it should be eaten in moderation by the blood group ‘O’S. Nursing mothers should eat a lot of tiger nut for enough production of their breast milk to satisfy their babies.